RECIPE. Jan 18, 2011

Some Power Bars

I’m sure you’ve heard me pledge here over and over that it is my sole purpose in life to figure out how to make all the goodies I buy in the store. I was reading a story recently about a woman who has two boys (7,9) and a husband who only contribute one bag of trash to the earth a year. While this is just slightly overwhelming a task with a newborn and my husbands job change, I was inspired. One bag of trash? Whoa. Evidently she makes a majority of their treats, even those that the family can take on the go. So I’ve had this recipe from another magazine sitting around for the last few months. It sounded incredibly easy and very healthy. Did I mention they are also gluten and dairy free?

A few of the ingredients are somewhat pricey but if you buy in bulk, you can make these bars over and over again without losing sleep over how much trash you are contributing to the world. I also admit it looks a bit like something you might use to wrap around your bird feeder in the winter, but I promise you it’s incredibly good. Who ever said eating like a bird was such a bad thing anyhow? The incredible bonus was the whole thing only took me about 40 minutes from start to finish. The longest part of the recipe is toasting the walnuts and sesame seeds. Who wouldn’t jump at the chance to make these?

Preheat oven to 325. Line 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. Spread walnuts on rimmed baking sheet and toast for 15 min or until golden brown. Remove from oven, place in bowl and set aside until cool to the touch. Repeat process with sesame seeds, toasting about 10 minutes, watching carefully as they can burn easily. Remove from oven and let sit on tray until cool to the touch. Transfer sesame seeds to a bowl.

Place walnuts and cherries into food processor and process until formed into a sticky ball. Add nut and fruit mixture to sesame seeds. Add salt, coconut oil and agave. Mix, using hands, until well combined.

Press into prepared baking pan, forming layer about 1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate until completely cool, about 1 hour. Cut into squares and gobble up.